How to Fix Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 error? ‘Cannot start PS4. Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 with the USB cable, and then press the PS button.’
It’s a scenario that has left PlayStation enthusiasts frustrated. In this guide, we will provide you with practical solutions to fix this perplexing error, and you won’t have to worry about it again.
The following sections will guide you through troubleshooting the error message “Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4”. # How to Fix Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 error?
The knowledge and skills you’ll need to revive your PlayStation 4 console and get back to your virtual adventures will be at your fingertips by the end of this guide, regardless of whether you’re seasoned or new to the PS4 world.
Why do you see ‘Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4’?
It is possible that the error message ‘Cannot Start PS4. Connect the DUALSHOCK 4’ prevents you from playing games or accessing the PlayStation menu because your PS4 console is not able to recognize your controller.
This error usually occurs when you turn on your PS4 or update your PS4 software.
When you receive the error message ‘Cannot Start PS4’, your PS4 console is stuck in safe mode and can’t boot up properly.
You may not be able to play games or access the PS4 menu because of this error.
The error usually occurs when the PS4 is turned on or when the PS4 software is updated.
There are several possible causes and solutions to this error, including:
A firmware update:
It is possible that your PS4 system was affected by a recent update.
If you connect your PS4 controller to a USB cable and press the PS button, then select Update System Software and follow the on-screen instructions, you can try updating the software again from the safe mode menu.
An out-of-date software:
It is possible that your PlayStation 4 software is outdated or corrupted, affecting its performance and functionality.
Scroll down to watch the steps in this video to see how to update your PS4 software from the internet or a USB storage device.
A malfunctioning USB cable or port:
You can try using a different USB cable or port, or make sure you have a clean and dust-free port and USB cable.
If your controller still won’t connect, you may have a damaged cable or port.
How To Fix PS4 LAN Cable Not Connected Issue?
A problem with the controller:
There may be some connectivity or internal issues with your controller that prevent it from communicating with your PS4.
Turn off your PlayStation 4, turn it over to the back of the controller, find a small hole near the L2 button, push the button within the hole for about three seconds with a small tool, plug in your console, connect your controller with a USB cable, and press the PS button to reset your controller.
A faulty software update:
The PS4 software update might have been interrupted or incomplete, resulting in errors or glitches in the system.
Follow this video for instructions on reinstalling the PS4 software from a USB drive.
A malfunctioning console:
There may be some hardware or internal problems with your PS4 console that prevent it from starting properly.
You can troubleshoot your console by following the steps in this article, or you can contact PlayStation support if you need more assistance.
This may be the result of console damage, dust and insect buildup, power issues, or other factors.
These steps should help you resolve the error message ‘Cannot Start PS4’. If none of them work, you may need to contact PlayStation support.
How to Fix Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 error?
The “Cannot Start PS4. Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 using the USB cable, and then press the PS button” error message can be frustrating, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the PlayStation 4 (PS4) has an issue.
You can troubleshoot and possibly resolve this error by following these steps:
1. Ensure Proper Connection:
- Make sure the DUALSHOCK 4 controller is securely connected to the PS4 with a USB cable.
2. Use a Different USB Cable:
Try connecting your DUALSHOCK 4 controller to the PS4 with a different USB cable if the problem persists.
You can try connecting your PS4 controller to a different USB port since all PS4 consoles have multiple USB ports.
If the error message disappears, it means it was an issue with a specific port. # How to Fix Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 error?
The following solutions may help if the issue persists:
- Clean the USB port with a toothpick or blow air into it to remove dirt and debris.
- Plug the USB connector into the device and wiggle the connection. If you hear movement, the port may be damaged internally.
- In this case, you have nothing to do other than get a replacement PlayStation or get it repaired by a professional if none of the solutions above work.
3. Restart the PS4:
- You will have to hold the power button on the front of your PS4 for a few seconds until you hear a second beep. This will force your PS4 to restart.
4. Try Safe Mode:
- The error might persist if you restart your PS4 in Safe Mode. To do this, turn off your PS4 completely.
- You should now be in Safe Mode after pressing and holding the power button until you hear a second beep.
- It may take some time, but you may be able to resolve various system issues by selecting the “Rebuild Database” option in Safe Mode.
5. Update Your PS4 Firmware:
The PS4’s system software can sometimes be out of date, causing this error. Make sure your PS4’s firmware is current:
- Your PS4’s settings can be found under “Settings”.
- To check and install available updates, select “System Software Update.”.
6. Reset the Controller:
Resetting your DUALSHOCK 4 controller may be the only solution if none of the above steps work:
- Make sure your PlayStation 4 is turned off.
- If you turn your controller over to the back, you will see a small hole on the L2 button’s shoulder.
- The inside of the hole should be pushed with a paper clip or other narrow object.
- Make sure the paper clip is held firmly for five seconds by applying enough pressure.
- A hard reset has been performed on your controller.
- By connecting it with a USB cable, the controller can be connected to the PlayStation 4.
- When the PS4 console boots up, it should not display the error message, ‘Cannot Start PS4. Connect the DUALSHOCK 4’.
- Once connected, press the ‘PlayStation’ button on the controller. The blue light bar indicates that the controller is connected.
7. Check for Hardware Issues:
The problem may be due to a hardware issue with your DUALSHOCK 4 controller or USB ports on your PS4.
If this occurs, you may need to replace your controller or have your PS4 professionally repaired. # How to Fix Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 error?
8. Factory reset PS4
Delete all the data on your PlayStation if none of the above options worked for you. Nevertheless, you can download your games back by logging into your Sony account.
Your PS4 hard drive will be reset to its original factory settings after removing all other data, except for the system software.
The following steps will show you how to ‘Initialize PS4’:
- Take the first three steps from Solution 4 and follow them.
- Then select ‘Initialize PS4’.
- Once you select ‘OK’, the initialization process will begin.
- If the error still appears on the screen, saying ‘Cannot Start PS4. Connect the DUALSHOCK 4’, you should proceed to reinstalling System Software.
Reinstall System Software
This process is the same as initialization, but with an additional layer of deletion. When you reinstall system software, you also delete your operating system along with wiping your hard drive clean.
In the case of a firmware update causing the error message, reinstalling the system software is the best way to fix it.
‘Reinstalling System Software’ can be done as follows:
- From Solution 4, follow the first three steps.
- A second option will appear below ‘Initialize PS4’, which reads ‘Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software).
- When the process is complete, select this option.
- In safe mode, this is the last resort, and it should resolve your issue.
9. Contact Sony Support:
In the event that none of the above solutions work and the error message persists, we recommend contacting Sony’s customer support.
They can provide further assistance and diagnose any possible hardware issues. # How to Fix Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4 error?
It’s important to remember that while this error message can be frustrating, it may be caused by a software issue that can be identified and resolved with the right troubleshooting steps.
A technical glitch like the “Cannot Start PS4 Connect the DUALSHOCK 4” error can put an end to our journeys and transport us to fantastical worlds and epic adventures, but gaming can also bring our journeys to a halt.
With the solutions we’ve explored in this guide, you now have the tools to tackle this frustrating issue.
Make sure your DUALSHOCK 4 controller and USB cable are working correctly as the first step.
If that doesn’t work, dive into safe mode and perform necessary system updates or a database rebuild can work wonders.
And if all else fails, you can reach out to Sony’s support for help.